Mother's Day

It's Mother's Day weekend. The sun is out and it's a bit chilly. I am grateful for this wonderful gift of motherhood. I have had 2 beautiful children and wonderful memories and a great relationship with both of them.

I cannot celebrate Mother's Day with my Mom, because she (Janette Walters) passed away when I was barely 3 years old.  After she died, my Father had to finish his education so for 3 years, I was raised by my grandparents, Antonia and Felix Camacho. Two beautiful, compassionate people who I owe so much to. I miss them everyday and think of them often. They also had help from my Aunts, Emily, Irene and Fina. Every morning for 3 years I would wake up and go to each of their houses, where one would feed me, one would make my hair look pretty and another would take me to school.

In 1966, Dad remarried, and we were blessed with Cynthia (Cynie). A beautiful and vivacious Portuguese woman who was strong and compassionate. Cynie used to work for my Dad and his brother when they were Dentists. She worked mostly for my uncle, but I remember her giving us story books and peanut brittle on our way out of the office. (My Mom Janette made the best peanut brittle ever. I think I might make some this weekend in her honor. ) I remember visiting Cynie when she lived with her parents, she always had a new toy or stuffed animal that she made for us to play with. My favorite was the Caterpillar. She took an old athletic sock, dyed it green and stuffed it with batting. Then she tied ribbon in four sections, making the body of the insect. Felt and buttons were used for legs, and eyes and lips. She was so creative.  She is still my Mom today.  Recently, she had some medical issues, but she is doing better now. I will be seeing her in October at my brother Keven's wedding.


Life wasn't always easy growing up, I was resentful that Janette was gone. I never got to know her and only had bits of memories come and go. When I asked about her my Father would not give me the time to reminisce, wanting me to move on. Cynie always had time for me. She told me good things about Janette. My cousins filled in some gaps, but I still wasn't happy. I don't believe in the afterlife, never did, even as a child. I was told that shortly after she passed away I was found in the kitchen in the early morning by myself sitting at the kitchen table, with a bowl of grapes in front of me. My grandmother noticing I wasn't in bed, went looking for me and found me there.  When asked what I was doing and I told her I was talking with the Angels. I told her they were there to tell me that Mommy was asleep and that they would take care of me and not to worry about anything. I guess God knew I needed him right away and sent his messengers to keep me comforted. Grandma did not discourage me, but stayed with me and talked until I was tired enough to go back to sleep. Afterwards I am told that I was a very good child and did not complain or cry anymore. As a teenager, I would pray to God to help me remember Janette. There was a night I will never forget. I had been wanting to learn how to braid and didn't have anything to read to show me. So I prayed my regular prayer and went to sleep. I dreamed I was with a woman, though I could not see her face. Her voice was like an angel, musical and comforting. She had 3 silk scarves, and was telling me that braiding them was very easy. She showed me how to overlap each one over the other and when she was done I was looking at a beautifully braided piece of fabric. For some reason I woke up  right after that. I turned on the light in my closet and grabbed three fabric belts and wove them right then and there! I was so happy and for the next week braided anything I could get my hands on.

I could write all day about experiences like that. You could say that she never really left me, and I look at her pictures and compare them to mine. I see her. I see her in my son's smile and hear her in my daughter's laugh. I will be a grandmother in July this year, and I know I will see her in our grandaughter Sofia, the name my daughter Tara and her husband have given their little baby. Sofia Jane. Jane after my mother Janette.

Yes, I have so much to be thankful for. So many new experiences to look forward to.










Comments

Popular Posts